President Obama continues his goals to safeguard the environment with his recent Executive Order “Safeguarding the Nation from the Impacts of Invasive Species.” This Executive Order amends the original Executive Order 13112 issued by the President Clinton in 1999 and directs actions to continue the coordinated Federal prevention and control efforts related to invasive species to include the effects of climate change.
President Obama’s order maintains:
- the National Invasive Species Council (Council) and the Invasive Species Advisory Committee;
- expands the membership of the Council;
- clarifies the operations of the Council;
- incorporates considerations of human and environmental health, climate change, technological innovation, and other emerging priorities into Federal efforts to address invasive species;
- and strengthens coordinated, cost-efficient Federal action.
Please make some time to contact your legislators and let them know how you feel about continuing a strong assault on invasive species through the leadership of the Federal government, but with collaboration from State, local, tribal and territorial governments; stakeholders and the private sector. And, that continued vigilance against the spread of invasive species protects the Nation’s assets and secures our natural resources.
FYI, reports leading to the issuance of this amending Executive Order include:
Safeguarding America’s Lands and Waters from Invasive Species – A National Framework for Early Detection and Rapid Response