Want to use your leftover zucchini and eggplant? Here’s a suggestion. Bake a quiche and freeze it!
4 c thinly sliced zucchini (cut away large seeds if large zucchini)
1 large onion, thinly sliced
3 tbsp butter
2 tsp each salt, garlic powder, dried basil, and dried oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
2 c (8 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tsp prepared mustard
1 unbaked pastry shell (9 in)
In a large skillet, saute zucchini, onion, and butter until tender; drain. In a large bowl, beat eggs, parsley, salt, garlic powder, basil, oregano, and pepper. Stir in zucchini mixture and cheese. Spread mustard over pastry shell; add egg mixture.
Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and crust is golden brown. (Cover loosely with foil after 25 minutes if needed to prevent over-browning.) Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Yield: 6-8 servings
*From Our Wisconsin magazine, August/September 2020
- You can use eggplant or a combination of zucchini and eggplant to make a variation of the recipe.
- Use fresh basil and oregano to gain a whole new taste.
- Eggplant contains a lot of moisture. Put the eggplant into a colander, sprinkle with salt, and toss. Set this aside in the sink to catch the liquid. Let the eggplant sit for 30 minutes or longer to catch the liquid that is going to be released from the eggplant. After that time, rinse the eggplant and use the salad spinner or paper towels to dry.
- Additionally, you can add mushrooms, bell pepper, and cherry, grape, or Roma tomatoes if you want.
- Try a medium cheddar, Monterey Jack, provolone or Swiss cheese to alternate taste.
- Bake quiche in the lower third of the oven because the bottom crust will be crisp and the rim will not over-brown.
- To freeze quiche before baking: Wrap the quiche with heavy-duty aluminum foil or in a freezer bag. Seal, label, and freeze. When ready to serve, unwrap and pop into the oven. Do not thaw! Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for about 25 minutes, or until heated through.
- Add a dollop of Picante and salsa sauce to the dish. Add a couple of tomato slices and a sleeve of basil.
- Want to add a perfect drink? Just add home-canned tomato juice or V8.